Every time we make play dough at home, I am always asked about the recipe so I thought I’d quickly pop it up here whilst Mally plays with hers! This play dough is super easy to make, doesn’t require any cooking and can be made mostly with things that you already have at home. It should last you a while too, I normally wrap mine up in a plastic bag to keep it fresh or an air-tight container would work too! You can mix it up by adding almost anything that you have in your cupboards such as, glitter, food colouring, essential oils, herbs, spices etc… Have fun and be creative!
You will need:
- 2 cups of flour (plain works best)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (I use vegetable but you can use coconut/olive/baby oil too)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (add in slowly as you go)
- Extras ( food colouring, glitter etc…)
- Glycerine ( I never add this because I never have it at home but people swear by a few drops for added stretchiness!)
- Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a mixing bowl
- Add the food colouring to the hot water and then slowly add and mix to the bowl
- Keep stirring until it becomes a sticky dough (don’t worry – its meant to be this sticky!)
- Add the glycerine (optional)
- Once the dough has cooled take out and knead it (a lot) until all the stickiness has gone. Keep kneading until its the perfect consistency!
- If it feels too sticky after kneading, add more flour until your happy with how it feels.
- Add glitter, smelly stuff, herbs etc…
- Play!!! And enjoy a hot cuppa in peace.
Some nice play dough ideas could be.. peppermint and glitter at Christmas , cinnamon play dough with conkers and sticks in autumn, natural play dough with herbs, calming lavender play dough, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry play dough for pretend cooking…. you get the gist, just add anything you fancy!
Let me know how you get on!